Art and Design Leadership in the here and now
This seminar will consider key challenges for aspiring leaders in art and design higher education with a particular focus on the transition from a predominantly operationally focused perspective to a longer-term strategic view. We will consider what is possible and what is achievable in response to the ongoing COVID-19 situation art and design higher education institutions find themselves in.
The seminar will cover:
- Assurance in uncertain times – how to balance the conflict
- Staff management in light of the COVID-19 situation and the on-site/online challenge
- University Leadership, managing stakeholders and Self-Leadership
- Balancing operational pressures with the strategic drivers and re-imagining the next stage
- Professor Sally Wade, Pro Vice-Chancellor and Dean, Faculty of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences, Anglia Ruskin University
- Professor David McGravie, Head of School of Arts Deputy Dean College of Arts, Humanities and Education, University of Derby
- Huw Swayne, University of South Wales, Head of Learning Teaching and Student Experience, Faculty of Creative Industries, University of South Wales
- Dr Angela Partington, Associate Dean (Education) at Kingston School of Art, Kingston University
- Dr Roddy Hunter, Director of Teaching and Learning, School of Art, Design and Architecture, University of Huddersfield
Breakout session options
Facilitated by David McGravie
- Delegates will be given three ‘real life’ scenarios, drawn from current issues and challenges arising in art and design higher education.
- Each scenario will be different in structure with some aspects not included or identified as not possible and will require delegates to achieve a compromise position.
- Delegates will be then asked to defend the position presented in the scenario.
‘Managing the day to day’
Facilitated by Huw Swayne
- The current situation in regards to staff delivery of blended learning, the return to on campus sessions and the challenges this represents to managers.
- Government guidelines on the safety of workplaces how they are applied to your institution and subject areas. Note: Regional variations.
- The fluidity of the above given current circumstances, and how this can be managed effectively.
- The degree to which the above are understood and interpreted by staff and trade unions.
- Delegates will be given a ‘real life’ scenario, drawn from current issues / challenges relating to the above.
Addressing the attainment gap’
Facilitated by Roddy Hunter
- Delegates will be given a ‘real life’ scenario, drawn from current issues / challenges relating to equity of attainment for all students.
- Delegates will be challenged to come up with a convincing strategy to overcome to present to senior management.