Focus on Programme Leader
The role of Programme Leader is a critical one in any art, design and creative media faculty and seen as a necessary step to career progression. But with its focus on staff management, administration and top down and bottom up pressure, how can we re-shape this role to make it one to aspire to?
This seminar is aimed at existing and aspiring Programme / Course Leaders and will explore the evolving role of Programme Leader. It is designed to appeal to a wide range of art and design educators considering career progression, aspiring to leadership or keen to explore whether a leadership role is something they want in their next academic role. Joining a small group of peers, we will create a safe space to discuss the positive and negative issues surrounding the Programme Leader role.
The seminar will cover:
- Reframing the role of programme leader ‘’It’s a great opportunity’’
- The leadership challenge and career progression
- Perception and criticality in the department
- Inclusive leadership (setting high standards for inclusivity across your programme area)
- Alternatives to the traditional Programme Leader model